Samstag, 29. September 2012

HALF DOLLS BY ERNST BOHNE SOEHNE (SONS)



Ernst Bohne first started porcelain decoration in 1848, only installing a kiln for the manufacture of porcelain in 1850. When Ernst died in 1856, his sons, Gustav, Karl and David took over the company as Ernst Bohne & Söhne (sons). In 1919 the company was purchased by Gebrüder (Bros.) Heubach of Lichte and ran as a branch of Heubach until 1830, when the factory capacity was no longer required. After being purchased in 1937, Ernst Bohne & Söhne was reopened at the original adress, as Albert Stahl & Co. vormals Ernst Bohne & Söhne. After World War II the factory was nationalised by the Eastern German Government and subsequently merged with the Sitzendorfer Porzellanmanufaktur in 1974. It was reprivatised and reassumed the name Albert Stahl & Co. At this point they commenced producing reproductions from old molds of the Ernst Bohne & Söhne and Karl Ens. 

Ernst Bohne & Söhne (=sons) produced a range of very fine quality half dolls.


 
 This is MY favourite half doll, a lady holding a panel and a pencil.


The half doll in a white dress is a recent reproduction, obviously made from still existing EBS molds. 
Some of this modern reproductions are showing up with the mark of KARL ENS (windmill and lettering). Others with a faked impressed CV mark and were sold as half dolls made by the porcelain manufactory "Closter Veilsdorf". BEWARE!

 
These original EBS half dolls have a closed base and were meant to be attached to a wire frame with wire, rather than thread.



The half doll on the left side is an ORIGINAL Ernst Bohne & Söhne doll, whilst the doll on the right side in the photo is a modern REPRODUCTION produced in Thuringia, most likely made from a still existing Ernst Bohne & Söhne mold. The latter one is showing up with the above mentioned faked CV (Closter Veilsdorf) mark. Even though of good quality, it is quite easy to see that the doll on the right side shows a modern painting.