The Herend Porcelain Manufactory (Herendi Porcelánmanufaktúra Zrt.) is a still existing Hungarian manufacturing company, specializing in luxury hand painted and gilded porcelain. Founded in 1826 by Vince Stingl, it is based in the town of Herend near the city of Veszprém. In 1839 Mór Fischer (Moritz Fischer) took control of the factory. The new owner of the manufactory, being very ambitious and having new ideas, started artistic porcelain manufacturing in the same year. After the fall of Communism in Hungary the factory was privatised and is now 75% owned by its management and workers.
The Herend Manufactory is running a very informative webpage in different languages.
Information on their history is to find at: http://herend.com/en/manufactory/history
Information on the manufacturing and decorating of Herend porcelain is to find at:
The Herend Porcelain Manufactory produced a series of four top-quality half dolls, depicting women in folcloristic Hungarian costumes. The dolls were made about 1935-40 (judging from the mark inside of the base of the dolls). Any input on the dating of the Herend mark and informations on the ethnic or national costumes would be much appreciated.
The half doll lady in the impressive white headscarf with red painted pattern and the overlapping pleated collar measures 15.5 cm (6.1") in height, the half doll lady with the red headscarf with white polka dots is 10.5 cm (4.1") tall. The lady with the golden cap appears to be a dancer; she measures 15 cm (6") in height.