This half doll lady of the roaring 20s applies lipstick and holds a lipstick case. The inside of the top of the case is painted in silver and looks just like a real mirror.
Make-up in the 1920s was characterized by its use to create a specific look - lips painted in the shape of a “Cupid's bow”, kohl-rimmed eyes, and bright cheeks brushed with bright red blush. Dark red lipstick was popular in the 1920s. In 1884, the history's first commercial lipstick wrapped in silk paper was introduced by perfumers in Paris, France. By 1915, lipstick was sold in cylinder metal containers, which had been invented by Maurice Levy. Women had to slide a tiny lever at the side of the tube with the edge of their fingernail to move the lipstick up to the top of the case. In 1923, the first swivel-up tube was patented by James Bruce Mason Jr. in Nashville, Tennessee. The development of the mirrored lipstick container in the 1920s also points to the importance of shaping the lips through the application of lipstick.
The Art Deco half doll lady with brown bobbed hair, heavy outlined eyes and a blue flapper cloche (hat) was manufactured by Fasold & Stauch of Bock-Wallendorf in Thuringia. She is part of their series of lovely detailed made Art Deco half doll ladies (Flapper ladies or Garconnes, just like stepped out of the 1920s fashion magazines). Size is: 11.5 cm (4.5”).