Samstag, 29. September 2012

HALF DOLLS BY ERNST BOHNE SOEHNE (SONS)



Ernst Bohne first started porcelain decoration in 1848, only installing a kiln for the manufacture of porcelain in 1850. When Ernst died in 1856, his sons, Gustav, Karl and David took over the company as Ernst Bohne & Söhne (sons). In 1919 the company was purchased by Gebrüder (Bros.) Heubach of Lichte and ran as a branch of Heubach until 1830, when the factory capacity was no longer required. After being purchased in 1937, Ernst Bohne & Söhne was reopened at the original adress, as Albert Stahl & Co. vormals Ernst Bohne & Söhne. After World War II the factory was nationalised by the Eastern German Government and subsequently merged with the Sitzendorfer Porzellanmanufaktur in 1974. It was reprivatised and reassumed the name Albert Stahl & Co. At this point they commenced producing reproductions from old molds of the Ernst Bohne & Söhne and Karl Ens. 

Ernst Bohne & Söhne (=sons) produced a range of very fine quality half dolls.


 
 This is MY favourite half doll, a lady holding a panel and a pencil.


The half doll in a white dress is a recent reproduction, obviously made from still existing EBS molds. 
Some of this modern reproductions are showing up with the mark of KARL ENS (windmill and lettering). Others with a faked impressed CV mark and were sold as half dolls made by the porcelain manufactory "Closter Veilsdorf". BEWARE!

 
These original EBS half dolls have a closed base and were meant to be attached to a wire frame with wire, rather than thread.



The half doll on the left side is an ORIGINAL Ernst Bohne & Söhne doll, whilst the doll on the right side in the photo is a modern REPRODUCTION produced in Thuringia, most likely made from a still existing Ernst Bohne & Söhne mold. The latter one is showing up with the above mentioned faked CV (Closter Veilsdorf) mark. Even though of good quality, it is quite easy to see that the doll on the right side shows a modern painting.

Donnerstag, 9. August 2012

BEACHGOERS - HALF DOLLS IN BATHING COSTUMES


These ladies in bathing suits are referred to as BATHING BEAUTIES or BATHING LADIES. 
The photo shows a full-figural bathing beauty half doll made by Fasold & Stauch of Bock-Wallendorf (the lady in red), an exceptional ART DECO trinket box or vanity box in the form of a wicker chair decorated with a bathing belle dressed in black. This beauty was also made by Fasold & Stauch of Bock-Wallendorf. The tiny lady in a blue bathing suit was made by Wm. Goebel of Oeslau/Bavaria. The half doll / pin cushion doll measures 4.2 cm (1,65") in height.

I WISH YOU NICE AND SUNNY SUMMER VACATIONS!

Dienstag, 31. Juli 2012

HALF DOLLS BY SITZENDORFER PORCELAIN MANUFACTORY



In 1850 Wilhelm Liebmann, a landlord and resident of Sitzendorf, who was born in Lichte/Thuringia was honoured with the permission of re-establishing a porcelain manufactory in Sitzendorf/Thuringia. In 1858 the brothers Alfred and Carl Wilhelm Voigt became chairman and slowly started to change the product range. One of the highlights was the introduction of lace figurines decorated in Meissen Style in 1884. Business went very well and in 1890 enabled them to open a subsidiary in the town of Underweißbach. Both factories together gave work to 300 employees. In 1896 the company was re-structured as limited company (stock corporation). The disastrous effects of WWI followed later by the worldwide economic crises in the late twenties nearly ruined the company and so the Unterweißnach branch was closed in 1928. In the year 1932 the situation began to stabilize under the leadership of the former authorizied representatives Reinhold Rebhan and Max Krauße, who had become the new proprietors. The factory was completely nationalized in 1972. After German reunifiaction the factory was reprivatized and refounded as limited partnership on June 1st, 1990. (source: http://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com)
The Sitzendorfer Porcelain Manufactory is still existing. 
Their webpage can be found at: http://www.sitzendorf-porzellan.de/index.php?lng=en

Sitzendorf produced a large number of beautiful half dolls and half doll related figurines like bathing beauties, powder boxes, flower frogs, half doll heads (pin cushion handles) etc.

This post will show you some beauties made by Sitzendorfer Porcelain Manufactory in c. 1920 - 1930.


 

This half doll portrays the French Queen Marie-Antoinette
as to be seen on Wikipedia at:

Freitag, 13. Juli 2012

HALF DOLLS AS HANDLES FOR POWDER PATTERS

HALF DOLL LADIES HAD VARIOUS JOBS. THESE HALF DOLLS - AN ART DECO LADY AND A PIERROT - SERVED AS HANDLES FOR A POWDER PATTER/PUFF RESP. POWDER WAND TO APPLY BODY POWDER. 


THIS PHOTO SHOWS THE PURPOSE OF A POWDER PATTER. THEY WERE FASHIONABLE IN THE 20s/30s. 


THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL HALF DOLL LADY MADE BY WM. GOEBEL OF OESLAU/BAVARIA. THE DOLL IS ATTACHED TO A FLUFFY POWDER PUFF. HER LEGS WITH GOLDEN SHOES ARE SERVING AS A HANDLE. THE COMPLETE COMBINATION SERVES AS A VERY DECORATIVE POWDER PATTER, RELATED TO THOSE SHOWN IN THE PHOTOS. SHE WEARS A PURPLE SWIM SUIT, YELLOW STOCKING WITH PAINTED GARTERS. HER SKIRT AND THE BANDANA ARE MADE OF CLOTH, AND ARE ORIGINAL TO THE DOLL. THE DOLL MEASURES 20 cm = 7.8" IN LENGTH. 


... AND THIS IS A NICE PIERROT WITH THE SAME JOB AS THE LADY. HE RESTS ATOP OF POWDER PUFF AND HIS LONG LEGS ARE SERVING AS A HANDLE. HE MEASURES 21 cm = 8.2" IN LENGTH. THE DOLL IS SUPPOSED TO BE MADE BY CARL SCHEIDIG OF GRAEFENTHAL.

Mittwoch, 27. Juni 2012

EXCEPTIONAL DRESSEL & KISTER HALF DOLL - LADY WITH A BASKET OF FLOWERS - ORIGINAL VS. FAKE

Photo is courtesy of Beth from Bland Properties


This expectional "museum piece" half doll was just auctioned on eBay and commanded the highest price, that was ever paid for a half doll on eBay. The outstanding half doll was made by Dressel & Kister of Passau/Bavaria. The lovely lady wears a blue cap and carries a basket atop of her head. The basket is filled with multi-colored very fine flowers (every single flower is formed by hand). A dove is molded to the rim of the basket.  The doll is clearly marked with the bishop`s crozier and measures 7" in height. Molding and painting are amazingly fine done. This half doll was sold for ..... WOW! unbelievable ...... 10.600 US$ = 8500 Euro. Congratulations to the winners and a big THANK YOU to Beth from Bland Properties / Missouri, who kindly granted permission to use her photos. THIS doll is truly everything .... but not bland!


BEWARE!

Photo is courtesy of Shona & Marc Lorrin from their book THE HALF DOLL Vol. 5

This half doll was also made by Dressel & Kister and is actually a sister to the above mentioned doll. HOWEVER, the basket atop of the head doesn`t originate from Dressel & Kister and it is NOT ORIGINAL to the doll. As per statement of German D&K collectors, who had the chance to examine this particular doll a few years ago, is there a hole in the head of the doll. Obviously the original basket was broken off and the damage resp. the hole is covered with a basket from an unknown manufacturer. The quality of the flowers and the basket is worse and not comparable with the Dressel & Kister quality and this "odd" basket is virtually too small for the doll. In my opinion is this a poor repair and this doll is worth a fraction of the lovely D&K doll with the original basket.


Sonntag, 10. Juni 2012

ROYAL LADIES - HALF DOLLS BY WM. GOEBEL

This post is introducing four prominent royal ladies in the form of beautiful antique half dolls. Empress Eugenie of France; Maria Theresia, the Empress of Austria; Elisabeth (Elizabeth) of Austria, known as: SISSI; and Empress Augusta. The half dolls are made by the German firm Wm. Goebel of Oeslau/Bavaria. All the half dolls are marked with the Goebel crown mark. The names in red are the descriptions of the dolls to find in the old Goebel catalogues from c. 1920.

Franz Detleff and William Goebel founded the Goebel porcelain factory in 1871. The history of the Goebel factory can be found in their webpage at : http://www.goebel.de/History.70.0.html?&L=1 


These half dolls are representing EMPRESS EUGENIE OF FRANCE (1855)
She was the last Empress consort of the French from 1853 to 1871 as the wife of Napoleon III, Emperor of the French. 

These half dolls are representing MARIA THERESIA, EMPRESS OF AUSTRIA, with crown (1760). She was the only female ruler of the Habsburg dominions and started her 40-year reign in 1740. She was the wife of Francis Stephen of Lorraine and had sixteen children, including Queen Marie Antoinette of France, Queen Maria Carolina of Naples and two Holy Roman Emperors, Joseph II and Leopold II. The Empress is buried in the Kaisergruft/Kapuzinergruft (Imperial Crypt) in Vienna (well worth a visit!) next to her husband in an coffin (of enormous size) along with the bodies of 145 Habsburg royalties.

One photo was taken from the book THE HALF DOLL and related items, makers and values by Shona & Marc Lorrin, Vol. 6, photo is courtesy of "The Lorrins"
These half dolls putting a ring on the finger are representing ELIZABETH OF AUSTRIA (1860), Lady with Ring. Elisabeth of Austria (24 December 1837 - 10 September 1898), today a historical icon, was the spouse of Franz Joseph I. From an early age, she was called SISI or SISSI by family and friends. In the German-speaking world, Elisabeth's name is often associated with a trilogy of romantic films about her life which starred a teenage Romy Schneider.



This half doll represents PRINCESS WILHELM OF PRUSSIA, LATER EMPRESS AUGUSTA with Diadem (1850). Kaiserin Augusta Victoria of Schleswig-Holstein (22 October 1858 – 11 April 1921) was the last German Empress and Queen of Prussia. She was married to Wilhelm (William) II., who was the last German Emperor.

Montag, 28. Mai 2012

BIEDERMEIER GIRLS - HALF DOLLS BY GEBR. HEUBACH / LICHTE

The Biedermeier period refers to an era in Central Europe during which the middle-class grew and arts appealed to common sensibilities in the historical period between 1815, the year of the Congress of Vienna at the end of the Napoleoinic Wars, and 1848, the year of the European revolutions. The Biedermeier period does not refer to the era of time as a whole, but to a particular mood and set of trends that grew out of the unique underpinnings of the time in central Europe.

These beautiful half doll girls are reflecting the fashion of the Biedermeier period, from hairstyle to dresses. The German firm Gebr. (Bros.) Heubach manufactured a series of Biedermeier girls with a very lifelike expression. Gebr. Heubach is well-known to collectors for their cute and lifelike piano babies, snow babies and children figurines. The size of the girls in the photo ranges from 15 to 17 cm. The doll in the green dress, which is displayed on a wooden stand,  has overlong arms.